Picture this … it’s a beautiful day, you’re out and about with your family when suddenly you get the alert on your phone, a severe storm is coming. Are you prepared? September is National Preparedness Month and PSE&G reminds you about the importance of preparing for disasters and emergencies. While we work hard to maintain reliability during these increasingly severe storms, we recommend that you prepare your home and your family for when one strikes.
Here’s how you can be prepared and stay safe:
- Create emergency communications and evacuation plans … and practice them!
- Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water … and always keep them ready to go!
- Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices when the weather forecast is predicting storms.
- Have cash available. Banks may be closed or inaccessible after a storm.
- Keep your car’s fuel tank on full whenever bad weather is in the forecast.
- Bring in unsecured objects and furniture from patios and balconies.
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including our Customer Service: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- Review our storm safety tips to learn how to be safe before, during and after a storm.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed wires, and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. You can report a downed wire by calling us at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734), or through our mobile app or website. If an immediate hazard exists, dial 911.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you (or a member of your household) rely on electricity to operate life-sustaining equipment, please notify us. To learn more, visit pseg.com/life or call 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
Here’s how you can stay informed during severe storms:
- Download our mobile app to report and track an outage.
- Register for MyAlerts to report outages and get text/email updates about the status of your outage. Just text “REG” to 4PSEG (47734). Report an outage by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG.
- Log in to My Account to report an outage or view outage status.
- Report a power outage and check the status of an outage using an Amazon Alexa device or app.
- Visit our Outage Center to report an outage, view our Outage Map, and access important safety information.
- To report an outage by phone, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
For more information about National Preparedness Month and what to do in an emergency, visit ready.gov/september.