Thanksgiving is a time for us to reflect on what we’re grateful for, with those who mean the most – and what better way to do both than with delicious food? But preparing a multi-course meal for a whole family can be exhausting, not only for you but for your electric bill. Electric ovens can draw high wattage, especially when used over an entire day, costing you additional money and energy usage. Plus, Thanksgiving Day is the leading day of the year for home fires according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Cutting back on power doesn’t have to mean cutting back on sweets, though. Enjoy these post-feast dessert night-caps without the hassle, risk or expense of additional baking.
Here’s a new take on the favorite Girl Scout classic (via The Cookie Elf).
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter or margarine
- 1 10-ounce bag marshmallows (6 cups)
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
- 3 cups shredded coconut, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) caramel sauce or caramel toping
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Unlike a regular cheesecake, this recipe doesn’t include eggs, giving it a more pudding-like consistency, but tasty nonetheless (via Just a Taste).
- 2 sleeves (18 sheets) graham crackers
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds, for garnish
It’s not really Thanksgiving without a pie, but apple and pumpkin creations can be a lot of work. This key-lime concoction is low in fat and fuss (via A Taste of Home).
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lime gelatin
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cartons (6 ounces each) Key lime yogurt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 reduced-fat graham cracker crust (8 inches)
Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie:
In case you want something chocolatey, try this recipe. It’s easy as, you know… (via Eating on a Dime).
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 1 (8oz) container Cool Whip (Learn how to make whipped cream here)
- 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese
- 1 bag of miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups-crushed (You can actually use any candy bar and change it up…for example Butterfinger Pie)