Qualifying non-profits can save up to 30% on energy costs, improve the environment and upgrade facilities through PSE&G’s Energy Savers program
The COVID-19 pandemic has been hard on New Jersey’s non-profits, forcing them to lay off staff, cancel events and struggle to keep up with fundraising. In a situation where every dollar counts, PSE&G is helping the groups realize bill savings through energy efficiency.
Non-profits with 501c(3) or c(19) tax-exempt status can qualify for PSE&G’s Energy Savers program making them eligible for equipment upgrades that can save energy and significantly lower their bills. For a sector that’s typically cash strapped with little capital for facility upgrades, the program can make a big difference. There is no up-front money required for upgrades such as energy efficient heating and cooling systems and LED lighting, and no-interest financing for the customers’ share of the costs.
About 40 representatives from non-profit groups attended a recent webinar to raise awareness of the Energy Savers program. There are about 35,000 non-profits in New Jersey that employ about 10% of the state’s private work force, according to Linda Czipo, president and CEO of the Center for Non-Profits in Mercerville, New Jersey.
“It’s no secret the pandemic has been devastating to the non-profit community,” Czipo said. “Any opportunity for relief would be welcome and important.”
Government agencies and businesses in Urban Enterprise Zones are also eligible for the program, though non-profit projects represent more than half of the program’s budget, according to Hardley Dupont, program implementation manager for the Energy Savers Program at PSE&G.
“We’re helping non-profits be more energy efficient, save on operating costs and enabling them to devote more dollars to where it matters most,” Dupont said.
PSE&G pays all upfront costs and 70% of the total bill leaving customers to repay only 30% of the cost of upgrades. Since 2009, 567 non-profits have taken advantage of the program and another 509 non-profit projects are in development. While savings vary by building and the type of equipment installed, the upgrades can shave up to 30% off customer bills.
Funding for the Energy Savers program was part of a PSE&G filing approved on Sept. 23 that cleared the way for the state’s largest utility to commit $1 billion toward energy efficiency investments over the next three years, the largest commitment ever in New Jersey, which is expected to provide environmental benefits and reduce customer bills while creating jobs and boosting the state’s economy.
“In a time when dollars are hard to come by, this is found money,” Czipo said. “And of course it’s promoting a clean environment. Non-profits are very attuned to that as well.”
Click here to view the Energy Saver program webinar.