May is National Electrical Safety Month, and our customers can take simple, cost-free precautions to stay safe around their homes and neighborhoods.
“Safety is always our top priority. We encourage people to enjoy all of the comforts and convenience of electricity while paying attention to and avoiding potential hazards,” said Jack Bridges, PSE&G vice president for Electric Operations. “This is the perfect time of year to perform routine checks in homes and businesses to prevent electrical shocks, injuries and fires. Also, taking the time to brush up on emergency safety tips can save lives. At PSE&G, we’re here 24/7 for our customers.”
Check out these electrical safety tips, and this safety education program for children. With the official start of Hurricane season on June 1 arriving soon, we also encourage customers to do pre-storm planning and note additional safety tips below.
Storm electricity safety:
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines, and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. Immediately call 911 to report downed wires or call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- Electric current passes easily through water, so stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires. Don’t drive over – and don’t stand near – downed power lines.
- Downed lines will be hard to see in the snow and can potentially be hidden in standing water. If you encounter large pools of slush or standing water, stop, back up and choose another path.
- Be careful not to stand under damaged tree limbs or power lines. Tree limbs can become weakened during a storm but not fall until several hours or days later. The same can be true for damaged power lines and/or poles.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit www.pseg.com/life.
- If you experience “no heat” or are having trouble with your heating appliance, please make an appointment by calling 1-800-350-PSEG (7734) or schedule online at nj.myaccount.pseg.com.