In anticipation of storms, PSE&G closely monitors the weather and takes the following steps to ensure that we can respond to any resulting power outages as quickly as possible:
- Arranges for contractors, such as tree crews, to assist the utility’s own skilled workforce.
- Ensures additional supplies, including poles, transformers and other pole-top equipment, are on hand.
- Refuels all vehicles.
- Tests generators at utility locations.
- Coordinates with county and municipal emergency management personnel to discuss outages and expedite restoration efforts.
Customers should be cautious and stay alert to their surroundings during and after storms.
What you can do now:
- Be ready to communicate about your situation.
- Make sure you have a family emergency plan.
- Review storm preparation tips at https://nj.pseg.com/safetyandreliability/stormsafety.
Stay away from downed wires:
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed wires. Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything with which it might be in contact. If a wire falls on or near your car, stay inside the car, call 911, and do not get out until PSE&G de-energizes the line. If you MUST get out of the vehicle because it is on fire watch the video below so you know how to stay alive.
Other important safety notes:
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, ensure that you alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit pseg.com/life.
Stay connected with PSE&G:
My Account allows customers like you to manage most of your PSE&G concerns conveniently in one place. For storm situations, you can:
Register for My Account
MyAlerts is a 24/7 notification service that allows you to report and receive updates on power outages via text message and/or email.
Once enrolled in MyAlerts, you will receive text and/or email notification of:
|◘ Information when there is an outage in your area||◘ Estimated time of restoration (ETR) and updates||
◘ When the outage in your area has been restored
|To communicate via text message:
To register for MyAlerts from your cell phone, tablet, or computer:
Log into My Account from your device. Then, select “Change My Alert Settings” to add a new contact for text notification.
From any cellphone capable of text messaging, text REG to 4PSEG (47734). (Have your account number available.)
Learn more about how to register for MyAlerts.
Call Us at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734)
Report an outage via automated prompts OR a live representative.
Choose how you want to receive updates: Call back or text alerts (MyAlerts)
Downed Wires? You must call this number and speak to a live representative to report downed wires or other hazardous conditions.
*You can SIGN UP for MyAlerts over the phone: Report outage FIRST ⟶ choose to receive updates via text message when given the option by the automated representative ⟶ enter phone number ⟶ follow text prompts.
Visit Our Outage Map
The outage map provides you with as much current information as we know, including the estimated time of restoration, when available.
Bookmark Our Mobile-Friendly Website
Save our website, www.pseg.com, to your mobile device’s home screen to quickly find the information you need.