The holiday season has arrived and for some of us, that means cooking and preparing meals for our loved ones. You can save energy while you cook when you adjust how you use your kitchen appliances and cookware. To be more energy efficient in the kitchen, use these energy-saving tips below.
- Preheat the oven to the exact temperature you need. The oven won’t heat up any faster at a higher setting.
- Put lids on pots and pans to prevent heat loss.
- Turn off the oven 10 minutes early – the food will keep cooking as long as the door stays closed.
- No peeking! Whenever you open the oven door, the temperature drops by about 25 degrees.
- Use glass or ceramic dishes if possible. They retain heat better and cook food faster.
When you’re ready to clean, make sure your dishwasher is full before running it. It’s more energy efficient.
Have a safe and happy holiday!