September is National Preparedness Month. Are you prepared? Emergencies can happen at any time, and preparing ahead of time helps keep everyone safe.
PSE&G’s ongoing system improvements and enhancements to the grid help provide reliable service to our communities. At PSE&G we continuously prepare for extreme weather to maintain reliability, as we help realize our Powering Progress vision.
While we do our part to strengthen New Jersey’s electric and natural gas networks against extreme weather events, here are some ways you can do your part to prepare for emergencies.
Preparing for a severe storm and other emergencies:
- Ensure you have a battery-powered radio and fresh batteries. Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
- Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water.
- Create evacuation and emergency communications plans.
- Make sure to have cash available. Banks may be closed or inaccessible after a storm.
- Fill up your vehicle’s fuel tank.
- Bring in unsecured objects and furniture from patios and balconies.
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G Customer Service: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- Discuss storm and lightning safety with your family. Visit https://nj.pseg.com/safetyandreliability/stormsafety for safety tips.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed wires, and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. Immediately contact PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734), via our mobile app or our website to report downed wires, and dial 911 if an immediate hazard exists.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, please have a backup plan in case of power loss and ensure that you alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit www.pseg.com/life.
How to stay connected with us:
- Download the PSE&G mobile app to report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- Register for MyAlerts to receive text notifications at pseg.com/outagecenter.
- Report an outage and receive status updates by texting OUT to 4PSEG (47734) or calling us at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734). You also can report your outage through our app, website at pseg.com/myaccount or with your voice using the Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant* app on your smartphone.
- Follow PSE&G on Facebook (@PSEG) and Twitter (@PSEGdelivers) for updates before, during and after the storm.
- Visit PSE&G’s Outage Map for the latest in outage info, restoration times and crew locations across New Jersey at pseg.com/outagecenter.
*Amazon Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The PSE&G action for the Google Assistant is not created by, affiliated with, or supported by Google Inc. Google Assistant is a trademark of Google Inc.