Between buying gifts and hosting parties, it’s no secret that the holidays can be an expensive time of year. But, did you know that changes to your cooking routine can help you save money in the kitchen? For example, slow cookers, pots, toaster ovens or warming plates use about half the energy of the average electric stove.
- Preheat the oven to the exact temperature you need. The oven won’t heat up any faster at a higher setting.
- Put lids on pots and pans to prevent heat loss.
- Turn off the oven 10 minutes early – the food will keep cooking as long as the door stays closed.
- No peeking! Whenever you open the oven door, the temperature drops by about 25 degrees.
- Always use glass or ceramic dishes if possible. They retain heat better and cook food faster.
Last but not least – when you’re ready to clean up, always make sure your dishwasher is full before running it. It’s more energy efficient.
Have a safe and happy holiday!